St. Luke's (Winters) Lutheran Church
President: Rick Peters
Vice-President: Mary Ann Galandak
Treasurer: Phyllis Bassler
Secretary: Beth Bassler
To provide a haven for all SOULS
Beth Bassler - Fellowship Committee Liaison
Jim Brozik - Property Committee Liaison
Mary Ann Galandak - Outreach Committee Liaison
Dale Gray - Music and Worship Liaison
Charlotte Hollenback - Evangelism Committee Liaison
Rick Lawrence - Support Committee Liaison
Mary Margaret Myers - Education Committee Liaison
Rick Peters - Support Committee Liaison
George Potter - Property Committee Liaison
PASTOR: Rev. Anne C. Durboraw
We invite you to come and join us on a Sunday at 8:30 A.M. or 11:00 A.M. We are a small Lutheran congregation of about 115 members at worship. We are part of the ELCA (the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America). We gather around the Word of God and the Sacraments of Holy Communion and Holy Baptism. The cross of Christ is central to our worship – for we are fragile and broken, but we are made whole by the One who was broken for us on the Cross. We have both a choral and bell choir. Our children learn songs in Sunday School at 9:45 A.M. and share those songs during worship. We have a Confirmation class and a Youth Group (6th- 12th grade).
We worship with liturgy, an order of worship that can trace back to some of the earliest gathering Christians. Our music ranges from traditional hymns to some contemporary hymns and liturgy. Our worship is spiritual and joyful. We also have a beautiful mixture of generations, those in their latter years with smiles sitting beside little ones who are bubbling over with energy. A nursery is provided for both of our services for younger children. Our Sunday School space was completely renovated in 2014 and includes a handicapped ramp. We also have both a Young Adult (high school/college) and Adult Bible Study at 9:45 A.M.
Come as you are comfortable - casual, suit or dress - it doesn’t matter. What matters most is that you are gathered to Christ’s power, gathered into Christian community, into the Body of Christ -- imperfect people who believe in the perfect love and grace of God. This world is so hungry for hope and joy, for true kindness. We are called to the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We invite you to take the time to come and worship with us!
SECRETARY: Alice Cheeks
St. Luke's (Winters) Lutheran Church
St. Luke's (Winter's) Lutheran Church is the fifth oldest surviving Lutheran Church in what is now Carroll County, Maryland.
Antiquated books at Gettysburg Lutheran Theological Seminary in Pennsylvania state that our church was organized as the Evangelical Lutheran (Winter's) Church in 1783. Our first evidence of the name of St. Luke's (Winters) Lutheran Church was in the Articles of Incorporation of March 30, 1856.
It is believed that some of our earliest settlers in Carroll County, New Windsor (Frederick County until 1837) worshipped in homes and groves long before St. Luke's (Winter's) Lutheran Church was organized. It has been recorded that as early as 1766 George Francis Winter, who was one of the earliest settlers near the town of New Windsor, received an application from German colonists in Pennsylvania for land for the erection of a prospective Lutheran church, and for land for farming purposes. It has been stated by historians that a log church was erected in 1772. However, the church was not organized until 1783, eleven years later, apparently under the direction of The Rev. Johann Daniel Schroeter. This organization was documented in our old record book at the Gettysburg Seminary. The old register dated 1783-1884 is still intact, and is kept at the Seminary because of its antiquity.
On March 30, 1856, our church was incorporated under the name of St. Luke's (Winter's) Lutheran Church. Most of the first members (communicants) of our church were German immigrants. The old register at Gettysburg is in old German, as well as some of our old tombstones in the cemetery. Both the German Reformed and Lutherans used our church at one time. We were probably served by the same itinerant preachers as the Taneytown charge, and we were once part of the Westminster charge. In 1870, we were part of the Uniontown Parish. This union lasted until 1979 (109 years). In 1979, we decided to take on the responsibilities of our own full-time pastor.
Our present church was built in 1875, and has been remodeled several times. The parish hall was added in 1958.